The California dream has turned into something of a nightmare. Add Holland America to the list of big-ship lines that have recently announced pull-outs from the increasingly depressed So-Cal cruise market.
Oosterdam, which had been offering regular ex-San Diego Mexican Riviera cruises from October to April, is being redeployed to Australia in October 2012.
HAL has not, however, announced all its deployments beyond fall 2012, and it declined to comment on whether a ship would replace Oosterdam on the Mexico route. In a statement, HAL would say only that the "city and port have been wonderful for us and our operations and we expect that relationship will continue."
Still, Port of San Diego official Rita Vandergaw told the San Diego Union-Tribune that, for now, it appears the city will no longer offer regular Mexico sailings. At its peak in 2008, 255 ships docked at the port, a number expected to fall to 103 this year and lower still the next.
The redeployment of Oosterdam is just the latest blow to the So-Cal cruise industry. In January, Carnival announced that it was sending 88,500-ton, 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit, which has been splitting time between San Diego (for Mexico) and Seattle (for Alaska), to a year-round post in Sydney starting in October 2012.
In recent years, San Diego and Los Angeles have seen a mass exodus, courtesy of redeployments by Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Lines have cited a combination of factors for the departures, including a struggling local economy, the swine flu scare and disinterest with staid Mexican Riviera ports.
Carnival Cruise Lines’ Carnival Spirit and Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Star both called on Mazatlan, Mexico, on Feb. 1, just days after other lines cancelled calls at the port due to reports of crime against passengers.
“Over the weekend, members of our Security Services management team from our headquarters in Miami met with local law enforcement and government officials in Mazatlan to review their plan for increased security,” Carnival said in a statement. “Mexican authorities agreed to place extra security personnel in all the main tourist areas, including all shore excursion sites.”
High-ranking Mexican state and local government officials, law enforcement officials, and tourism and port authority executives met with cruise industry leaders last week to outline the security measures that have been taken. Also, Mexico Tourism Minister Gloria Guevara Manzo and Gov. Mario Lopez Valdez met Jan. 31 with executives from the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association to further outline the destination’s commitment to ensuring the safety of cruise passengers.
NCL said it has “been closely monitoring the situation in Mazatlan. At this time, the U.S. Department of State has not deemed Mazatlan an at-risk area for traveling. We hope our guests enjoy their visit to Mazatlan, but do encourage them in any port to always be aware of their surroundings and exercise caution and good judgment.”
On Jan. 25, Disney Cruise Line announced it was cancelling the Disney Wonder’s calls at Mazatlan, Mexico, due to the “changing environment.” Holland America Line and Princess Cruises also to temporarily cancelled Mazatlan calls. For more information, visit www.gomazatlan.com.
“Over the weekend, members of our Security Services management team from our headquarters in Miami met with local law enforcement and government officials in Mazatlan to review their plan for increased security,” Carnival said in a statement. “Mexican authorities agreed to place extra security personnel in all the main tourist areas, including all shore excursion sites.”
High-ranking Mexican state and local government officials, law enforcement officials, and tourism and port authority executives met with cruise industry leaders last week to outline the security measures that have been taken. Also, Mexico Tourism Minister Gloria Guevara Manzo and Gov. Mario Lopez Valdez met Jan. 31 with executives from the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association to further outline the destination’s commitment to ensuring the safety of cruise passengers.
NCL said it has “been closely monitoring the situation in Mazatlan. At this time, the U.S. Department of State has not deemed Mazatlan an at-risk area for traveling. We hope our guests enjoy their visit to Mazatlan, but do encourage them in any port to always be aware of their surroundings and exercise caution and good judgment.”
On Jan. 25, Disney Cruise Line announced it was cancelling the Disney Wonder’s calls at Mazatlan, Mexico, due to the “changing environment.” Holland America Line and Princess Cruises also to temporarily cancelled Mazatlan calls. For more information, visit www.gomazatlan.com.



